|Numerous seats in Perkins County up for election in 2010|
By Jan Rahn
Seven political seats in Perkins County are up for election in 2010 along with several nonpolitical seats which will be filled during the General Election on Nov. 2.
The Primary Election is set for Tuesday, May 11.
Perkins County Clerk Rita Long—whose seat is among those up for election— has been busy handling issues related to the upcoming Primary Election.
Other political seats to be filled include commissioners in two districts, along with the county seats of attorney, sheriff and treasurer and assessor.
State government offices up for election include those of governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, state auditor, state treasurer and attorney general.
In the 2010 gubernatorial race, Nebraska’s Republican Governor Dave Heineman is running for reelection.
Congressional seats to be filled in the 111th U.S. House of Representatives include those held by incumbents Jeff Fortenberry, Lee Terry and Adrian Smith.
U.S. Senate terms run for six years, thus there is no senate race in 2010. Senator Ben Nelson’s seat will be up for election in 2012.
Incumbents and non-incumbents interested in filing have separate deadlines to enter a race.
• Incumbent deadline: Tuesday, Feb. 16. The usual February filing date of the 15th falls on the federal holiday of President’s Day, thus the deadline is one day later.
• Non-incumbent deadline: Monday, March 1.
• Withdrawal: Once an incumbent files, they have until March 1 to withdraw from the race.
Village Trustee/ESU Filings
Candidates who enter the race as a village trustee or Educational Service Unit board member have a separate filing deadline and will appear on the General Election ballot in November.
• Incumbent deadline for any of these offices: Thursday, July 15.
• Non-incumbent deadline: Monday, Aug. 2.
Seats to be Filled
• County Commissioner District 2: Incumbent is Leon Pankonin.
• County Commmissioner District 3: Incumbent is James Deaver. Filing as a new candidate is Ted Deaver.
• Perkins County Clerk: Incumbent is Rita Long.
• Perkins County Attorney: Incumbent is Richard Roberts.
• Perkins County Sheriff: Incumbent is James Brueggeman.
• Perkins County Treasurer: Incumbent is Patsy Kroeker.
• Perkins County Assessor: Incumbent is Bonnie Appel.
• Perkins County Hospital Board has three positions which will be filled during the Primary Election in May. Incumbents are Brenda Kiolbasa, Amanda McGreer and Bill Potts.
• Perkins County School District: Three candidates will be elected to fill seats on the school board. Incumbents are Dan Hughes, Marian Robertson and Kent Kroeker.
• Mayor of Grant: Incumbent is Mike Wyatt.
• Grant City Council: Two seats are up for election currently held by Darrell Pierce and Dennis Hansen.
• Village Trustee of Elsie: Two seats will be filled. Incumbents are Larry Biesecker and Brenda Metcalf.
• Village Trustee of Madrid: Two will be elected to fill seats held by incumbents Michelle Ross and Mark Heil.
• Village of Venango: Three candidates will be elected to fill seats in Venango. Incumbents are Dale Grothman, William Tines and Barb Prottsman.
• ESU 16: One position is up for election in District 9. Incumbent is Norma Mayer.
• NRD Sub-District 4, 8, 10, and At-Large: Positions will be filled in three NRD sub-districts plus an at large member for NRD. Incumbents are: Tim Schilke (Dist. 4), Michael Mosel (Dist. 8), Greg Pelster (Dist. 10), and Jeff Wallin (At Large). • Other positions: The election will also fill a seat on the Nebraska Public Power District 4 currently held by incumbent Larry E. Linstrom and the Mid-Plains Community College Area 2. Incumbent is Glenn Colson.