|PCHS speakers win first two meets|
The 2010 PCHS competitive speech team traveled to the Chase County High School Speech Invite on Saturday, Jan. 9, along with other area schools including Paxton, North Platte St. Pat’s, Wauneta, Hershey, and Southwest.
Twenty-one members of the team competed in two rounds of preliminary competition with the top placing contestants moving on to a final round.
Nine of the PCHS speakers were novice competitors, finishing extremely well for their first contest.
Events and speakers included:
• Informative–Elisa Carlson second, Kristen Beck third (and top novice);
• Persuasive--Tori Osler first;
• Entertainment–Cole Whalen fourth, Shania Metcalf fifth, Elliot Carlson seventh (all novices);
• Extemporaneous–Amara Meyer second, Tori Osler third, and novice Trevor Lee fifth;
• Poetry–Calla Mailand third;
• Humorous Prose–Ashely Kemling first, Mindee Hausman second (and top novice), Lacey Jensen third (novice as well);
• Serious Prose–Calla Mailand first, Ashley Kemling second, Stephanie Reichert fourth;
• Duet–Eric Hagan and MacKenzie Hite first, Tori Osler and Ashley Kemling second, Calla Mailand and Robyn Krause third, Lacey Jensen and Rachel Patrick fifth (top duet novices);
Oral Interpretation of Drama–Eric Hagan, Jeremy Hagan, Kye Kurkowski, Josh Sexson and Nick
Turner first; Elisa Carlson, MacKenzie Hite, Amara Meyer, Brooke Poppe and Michael York seventh.
PCHS totalled 88 team points to earn first place team honors, followed by the Paxton team with 44.
PCHS speakers competed with students from 14 area schools at the Wallace Speech Invitational held on Saturday, Jan. 16. Illness prevented some members of the team from the competition, but those who arrived in Wallace spent the day participating in two rounds of prelims, sending 16 entrants into the finals.
Participating schools included Chase County, Creek Valley, South Platte, Paxton, Brady, Southwest, Hayes Center, Wauneta-Palisade, Sutherland, Hershey, St. Pat’s, Eustis-Farnam, PCHS, and Wallace.
Results and participants:
• Informative–Kristen Beck, Shannen Kryfka, Robyn Kryfka
• Persuasive–Tori Osler 2nd, Matisyn Humphrey 3rd, Michi Prante 6th
• Entertainment–Elliot Carlson 6th, Shania Metcalf, Cole Whalen
• Extemporaneous–Amara Meyer 3rd, Tori Olser 6th, Trevor Lee • Poetry–Kalyn Hanson 3rd, Calla Mailand 5th
• Humorous Prose–Ashley Kemling 3rd, Mindee Hausman, Lacey Jensen, Debbie Dahlkoetter
• Serious Prose–Calla Mailand 2nd, Ashley Kemling 5th, Kalyn Hanson 6th, Stephanie Reichert
Duet Acting–Mackenzie Hite and Erik Hagan 2nd; Lacey Jensen and Rachel Patrick 4th; Robyn Krause and Calla Mailand 5th; Ashley Kemling and Tori Osler
• Oral Interpretation of Drama–Erik Hagan, Jeremy Hagan, Kye Kurkowski, Josh Sexson and Nick Turner 1st.
PCHS speakers earned 100 points to take first place team honors. Wallace tallied 88 points for second place and Paxton finished the day with 60 points for third place.
The next competition for the speech team will be on Saturday, Jan. 30 when PCHS hosts its annual invitational. Competition will begin at 8:15 a.m. and the public is invited.