|Candidates file for seats in Perkins County|
By Jan Rahn
for May 11 Primary
• Incumbent deadline: Tuesday, Feb. 16.
• Non-incumbent deadline: Monday, March 1.
• Withdrawal: Once an incumbent files, they have until March 1 to withdraw from the race.
Thus far, only one non-incumbent has filed for one of the open political seats in Perkins County. Six of seven incumbents have filed for the seat they wish to retain when the 2010 General Election rolls around in November.
As the deadlines approach for incumbent and non-incumbent filings, The Grant Tribune-Sentinel will report the latest candidates for open seats on the various boards and elected positions in the county.
Filings for Open Seats
Perkins County Attorney: Incumbent Richard Roberts has filed.
Perkins County Clerk: Rita A. Long has filed as the incumbent.
Commissioner District 2: Incumbent Leon Pankonin has filed.
Commissioner District 3: Ted Deaver filed as a non-incumbent; incumbent James Deaver has also filed.
Sheriff: James Brueggeman filed as incumbent for county sheriff.
Treasurer: Incumbent Patsy Kroeker has filed.
Village of Elsie: Brenda Metcalf has filed as incumbent for a village seat.
Other Seats to be Filled
Perkins County Assessor: Bonnie Appel is the incumbent.
• Perkins County Hospital Board: Three positions will be filled during the Primary Election in May. Incumbents are Brenda Kiolbasa, Amanda McGreer and Bill Potts.
• Perkins County School District: Three candidates will be elected. Incumbents are Dan Hughes, Marian Robertson and Kent Kroeker.
• Mayor of Grant: Incumbent is Mike Wyatt.
• Grant City Council: Two seats are up for election. Incumbents are Darrell Pierce and Dennis Hansen.
• Village Trustee of Elsie: Two seats will be filled. Incumbents are Larry Biesecker and Brenda Metcalf. Metcalf has filed.
• Village Trustee of Madrid: Two will be elected to fill seats held by incumbents Michelle Ross and Mark Heil.
• Village of Venango: Three candidates will be elected to fill seats in Venango. Incumbents are Dale Grothman, William Tines and Barb Prottsman.
• ESU 16: One position is up for election in District 9. Incumbent is Norma Mayer.
• NRD Sub-District 4, 8, 10, and At-Large: Positions will be filled in three NRD sub-districts plus an at large member for NRD. Incumbents are: Tim Schilke (Dist. 4), Michael Mosel (Dist. 8), Greg Pelster (Dist. 10), and Jeff Wallin (At Large).
• Other positions: The election will also fill a seat on the Nebraska Public Power District 4 currently held by incumbent Larry E. Linstrom and the Mid-Plains Community College Area 2. Incumbent is Glenn Colson.
Village Trustee/ESU Filings
Candidates who enter the race as a village trustee or Educational Service Unit board member have a separate filing deadline and will appear on the General Election ballot in November.
• Incumbent deadline for any of these offices: Thursday, July 15.
• Non-incumbent deadline: Monday, Aug. 2.