|Health department in McCook moves to new location|
Southwest Nebraska Public Health Department has moved its operations from the Masonic Temple to a newly remodeled building in McCook.
SWNPHD purchased a church located at 404 West 10th in 2008. After extensive remodeling, SWNPHD moved into its new location in March.
Signage and parking remain to be completed along with other small changes.
“This new building is twice the size of our former location, said Myra Stoney, director. “Parking will be easier to access. We have moved the entrance to the west side of the building for handicap accessibility. We are planning an open house in April during Public Health Week. We are excited to show the community our new building.”
The move to the church is the second move for the health department.
SWNPHD was formed in 2002 with tobacco settlement monies and an interlocal agreement. The eight county health district was originally located in Trenton at the Hitchcock County Courthouse.
In 2005, with a staff of three, SWNPHD moved to McCook. The staff today consists of nine employees.
Some of the programs offered by SWNPHD include:
• H1N1 vaccinations
• Seasonal influenza vaccinations
• Tobacco cessation resources and programs
• Fitness and nutrition programs including: Fitness Reaching Older Gen’s (FROG), Walk to Health, Teaching Our Youth–Choices–Activities and Nutrition (TOUCAN)
• Surveillance–Disease, school, hospital
• Nebraska respite program–serving 18 counties
• Radon measurement and education
• Preparedness education and activities–disaster planning
Public health is promotion, prevention, protection.
Southwest Nebraska Public Health Department serves Chase, Dundy, Frontier, Furnas, Hayes, Hitchcock, Perkins and Red Willow counties. More information may be obtained by calling 308-345-4223 or via internet at www.swhealthdept.com.