Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

CRP land: assistance for young farmers PDF Print E-mail

Perkins County, Nebraska landowners who are willing to sell or lease Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres to new farmers can get federal assistance with the Transition Incentives Program (TIP). 

The program was created by Congress in the 2008 farm bill in a bid to help new and minority farmers get over one of the biggest hurdles they face–finding affordable land. 

Signup for the new program, which began May 17, at county Farm Service Agency offices, works this way: 

Owners of land that has been idled under CRP can get two extra years of CRP payments from the USDA if they agree to sell or lease the acreage under a long-term contract to a new or minority farmer. 

Contracts on 6708.7 acres of CRP land in Perkins County expire this year and another 21279.5 acres in the following two years. 


For the full story, subscribe to our e-Editions for $29/year.

Call 308-352-4311 for details.