|Christmas open house in Grant is next week|
By Jan Rahn
In another week, downtown Grant will come alive with holiday spirit when Chamber hosts the annual Christmas Open House.
Promoting the theme, “Christmas in Grant—Tied Up With Bows,” retailers and vendors will enjoy an evening of showcasing their wares for shoppers who can start early in preparing for the holidays.
Several businesses will be open from 5-8 p.m. offering specials and giveaways.
A new Chamber-sponsored event this year is a turkey drawing. Shoppers who purchase merchandise at a Chamber business will have a ticket entered into the drawing for a chance at winning one of five turkeys for the holidays.
The turkey drawing will be held at 7:30 p.m. in the open lot south of Deaver Computer, and winners must be present to receive their prize.
Some of the Happenings
• Specials or store drawings will be held at Deaver Computer, Grant Floral, Poppe’s Posies, The Grant Tribune, Country Supply, Grant Pharmacy, Grant Auto Parts, Grant Volunteer Fire Department.
• Food will be available at the senior center (potato bar), Pankonin’s Heaven Scent Bakery (fried ice cream), Grant Auto Parts (soups), In & Out (hors d’ oeuvres), The Grant Tribune-Sentinel (snack/drink), hot cider, hot chocolate and caramel corn along the street given by area churches.
• Vendors will be set up in all three banks—Adams, Pinnacle and Valley—offering baked goods, crafts, beauty products, wine, Watkins and Pampered Chef products.
• A snow boot drive hosted by Perkins County Health Services will be held at Adams Bank.
• Santa will be at The Barber Pole from 5:30-7 p.m. Alee Photography will offer prints of little ones on Santa’s lap.
• Enjoy a special storybook time from 5:30-6 p.m. at Hastings Memorial Library along with a book sale.
• Skating is offered from 6-8 p.m. at Six Aces Roller Rink with free admittance for skaters bringing two non-perishable items for the food pantry.
• The Perkins County Museum will host an open house to reveal the restoration progress.
• Meadowlark Gallery will be open with quilts on display, plus painted chairs by community members that will be up for silent auction.
Beginning with the Chamber Christmas Open House event on Nov. 18, businesses will collect entry slips for the Greenbacks drawings during the month of December.
The first drawing is set for Saturday, Dec. 4 at Hatch’s. Consecutive drawings will be held the following two Saturdays leading up to Christmas.
Five $50 and one $250 winner will be chosen the first two Saturdays, with five $50 winners and one $500 winner chosen the final week. Those present will have their winnings doubled.
Santa will come to town and be available for photos at The Barber Pole from 5:30-7 p.m.