Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

FSA Scoop...Contact FSA before breaking ground PDF Print E-mail

By Mary Karash

County Executive Director, Farm Service Agency, Grant, NE


With current commodity prices, producers may try to utilize all available land to produce a crop. Please be reminded that you need to discuss the impact of breaking new ground with FSA, before bringing any additional land into production.
The term “sodbusting” refers to plowing erosion-prone grasslands for use as cropland. Sodbuster violations are unauthorized tillage practices on highly erodible lands that convert native vegetation such as rangeland or woodland, to crop production after Dec. 23, 1985.
Farmers and ranchers should be aware that if they use highly erodible land for crop production without proper conservation measures, they risk losing eligibility for benefits from USDA programs.
Producers may also become ineligible if they plant an agricultural commodity on a wetland that was converted after Dec. 23, 1985 or convert a wetland after Nov. 28, 1990.
Before producers clear, plow or otherwise prepare areas not presently under crop production for planting, they are required to file form AD-1026 with the Farm Service Agency (FSA), indicating the area to be brought into production.
If the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) indicates that the area will be highly erodible land, producers are required to develop and implement a conservation system on the affected acreage, before bringing the land into production.
Producers and their affiliates must file form AD-1026 in the FSA administrative or control
county office before any farm program payments can be made.
The AD-1026 is the producer’s signed certification that highly erodible land conservation and wetland conservation provisions will not be violated.
Producers should contact their local Farm Service Agency office with questions regarding conservation compliance regulations.
Due to budget constraints, there will be less newsletters mailed to you, please continue
to utilize this column for on-going programs and sign-ups.         Stop into the office anytime you have a question or concern with the many programs we offer.
General CRP signup is being held through April 15. This signup will allow contracts that expire Sept. 30 and new cropland to be offered.
(CRP: Conservation Reserve Program). Please contact the office for an appointment.
Signup for the 2009 SURE Program is underway and will continue through July 29. Producers who suffered at least a 10 percent loss on a crop of economic significance in crop year 2009 may be eligible for benefits under this program. Call the County Office for details. (SURE: Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments Program)
For more information about FSA and its programs, visit:
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.