Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

FSA Scoop PDF Print E-mail

Dates and signups released

Important Deadlines
• Immediate - deadline to file AGI Verification Consent Forms with IRS
• Nov. 14 – Start of 2010 SURE (Supplemental Revenue Assistance Program) Signup (Ends June 1, 2012)—If you suffered a 50 percent actual production loss due to natural disaster, on your entire operation, please be sure to contact the office so we can being the application process.
• Dec. 1 - NAP Closing Date for 2012 grazing and forage/hay on native and improved grass.
• Jan. 23, 2012 – Start of 2012 DCP (Direct and Counter Cyclical Program) Sign-up
• Jan. 30, 2012 – ELAP (Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish) final application deadline (notice of loss must be filed the earlier of three days after the loss is apparent or Dec. 29, 2011)
• Jan. 30, 2012 – LIP (Livestock Indemnity Program) final application deadline (notice of loss must be filed the earlier of 30 days after the loss is apparent or by Dec. 29, 2011)
Jan. 31, 2012 – Deadline for LDP (Loan Deficiency Program) and loans on wool and unshorn pelts
March 15, 2012 – NAP Application for coverage deadline for spring seeded crops and grass
Commodity Loans
If you are planning to take a loan on a commodity before the first of the year, please be sure to contact the office well in advance. The loan making process, which includes deposit of the loan funds, can take considerable time. Loan funds are usually deposited within three to five workdays of the loan approval date.
Nebraska Counties Are Eligible for USDA
Emergency Loans
Family farmers in four Nebraska counties may be eligible to apply for low interest emergency (EM) loans due to physical and production losses caused by severe storms with excessive rain, flash flooding, hail, and high winds that occurred from May 23, 2011 through Aug. 11, 2011.
The four counties designated are: Arthur, Hayes, Hitchcock and Perkins
In addition, the following 11 Nebraska counties became eligible for this assistance because they are contiguous to one or more of the primary Nebraska counties that were designated on Nov. 9, 2011 by the Secretary of Agriculture.
These counties are: Chase, Deuel, Dundy, Frontier, Garden, Grant, Hooker, Keith, Lincoln, McPherson and Red Willow
In addition, with a qualifying loss, this designation makes producers eligible for the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Program (SURE). With this disaster declaration, producers that have suffered at least a 10 percent loss on a crop in their farming operation will be able to apply for SURE benefits. Applications for 2011 SURE, will begin after the 2011 crop marketing year has ended which will be in the fall of 2012.
Emergency loan applications are available and must be submitted through the local FSA county office from any applicant who qualifies for a physical or production loss (at least a 30 percent reduction from normal) in a single enterprise from this disaster in these counties.
To qualify for an EM loan, an applicant must be an established family farm operator; provide evidence of having suffered a qualifying physical or production loss; be unable to obtain suitable credit from a source other than FSA. The low interest loans may cover up to 100 percent of their actual production or physical losses, to a maximum amount of $500,000.
The loan applicants must show ability to repay the loan and the loan must be adequately secured. FSA loans for production losses may be used to buy feed, seed, fertilizer, livestock, or to refinance certain debts.
FSA loans for physical losses may be used to repair or replace the property that was damaged or lost. The current interest rate for the EM loans is 3.75 percent. The deadline for submitting applications is July 9, 2012.
2012 DCP/Acre Signup
2012 Direct and Counter-Cyclical Program (DCP) enrollment will begin Jan.23, 2012, and will end June 1, 2012.

Here are some Important reminders:
• All producers planting on DCP base acres must be identified on the DCP/ACRE contract and receive a proportionate share of DCP/ACRE payment for the farm
• Changes on the farm after enrolling June 1st in DCP/ACRE must be reported to your local FSA office such as: Ownership changes, Producer changes (Individuals and Entities), Change in crop shares/arrangements
Note: Changes cannot be made after Sept. 30, 2012.
Selling Land
Selling farmland may result in program consequences. For example, when selling land enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program, the buyer must agree to continue the enrollment.
If the buyer doesn’t want to continue the CRP contract, you might have to refund all payments received to date. Always review program implications with your local Farm Service Agency staff before completing a sale of farmland
USDA is an equal opportunity employee and provider.