By Jan Rahn
Get ready for a fun-filled, action-packed, caloric-overload Fourth of July at Grant City Park on Wednesday when Chamber sponsors the 125th anniversary celebration in conjunction with our nation’s birthday.
There will be activities spread throughout the day. Start early with a Firecracker Fun Run at 7 a.m., and end in awe of a spectacular fireworks display.
In addition to the scheduled events during the day, booths of face painting, photos, and 125th memorabilia items will be set up in the park. Music and announcements by DJ Matt Chandler-Smith will add to the celebratory ambiance at the park.
A unique addition to the quasquicentennial is a “dumpster painting contest” sponsored by the Perkins County Area Arts Council. They’ll be auctioned off at the end of the day and winners can enjoy a painted receptacle in their alley!
Another delight for the day is entertainment in front of the band shell at 6:30 when a “Will Rogers” presentation follows the talent show.
There will be food, games, contests, swimming and bounce houses for kids, more food, a talent show, and of course plenty of opportunity to visit, watch events, peruse what’s happening, and enjoy the day with fellow residents and family.
The extended forecast promises temperatures in the high 90s for the day’s event. It’s a celebration you won’t want to miss. Come spend the Fourth in Grant!
Schedule of Events
• 6:45 a.m.: Firecracker Fun Run opening ceremony, with run/walk starting at 7 a.m., sponsored by Image Total Fitness.
• 7-9:30 a.m.: 4th of July breakfast in park shelter hosted by Perkins County Schools Foundation.
• 9-10 a.m.: Zumba party by Amanda Wood and Rachelle Fryzek.
• 10-11 a.m.: Barefoot yoga by Kathy Woodmancy and Lauren Klima.
• 10 a.m.-noon: Dumpster painting with silent auction ending at 6:30 p.m., sponsored by Perkins County Area Arts Council.
• 10 a.m.-1 p.m.: Wheelchair races hosted by Perkins County Health Services.
• 10:30 a.m.: Three-on-three basketball led by Plainsmen Coach Shawn Cole.
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: Lunch, including burgers, chicken, brats and hot dogs sponsored by Perkins County Animal Shelter and Viaero.
• 11 a.m.-3 p.m.: Dog wash sponsored by Perkins County Animal Shelter and Viaero.
• Noon-5 p.m.: Bounce house sponsored by Chamber. All-day wrist bands $5.
• Noon-5 p.m. Popcorn, cotton candy and beverages hosted by Perkins County Fair demo derby committee.
• Noon-6 p.m.: Car and bike show sponsored by Ride Rite Garage.
• 1-4 p.m.: Car wash by Boy Scouts.
• 1-8 p.m.: Free swimming courtesy of City of Grant.
• 1 p.m.: Horseshoe tournament sponsored by Great Plains Communications.
• 1 p.m.: Dodgeball tournament sponsored by FFA.
• 2:30 p.m. Rib cook-off judging hosted by Tyson McGreer.
• 5-6:30 p.m.: Evening meal sponsored by 125th Committee and Perkins County Foundation.
• 6 p.m.: Cake and ice cream furnished by City of Grant for 125th celebration.
• 6:30 p.m.: Talent Show sponsored by Andi Lee.
• 7:30 p.m.: “Will Rogers” presentation sponsored by Perkins County Area Arts Council.
• 9:30 p.m. Fireworks by Grant Volunteer Fire Department at the fairgrounds on west edge of town.