Husker highway travel update
The first home Husker football game is Saturday, Sept 1. According to the Nebraska Department of Roads (NDOR), contractors will minimize lane closures on home game weekends on the highways around the immediate Lincoln area where highway improvement
projects are ongoing.
Lincoln Area Highways
• I-80 – east and west of Lincoln: Two lanes in both directions will be open on home game days. Some speed reductions may be in place.
• I-180 into Lincoln: Open
• US-6–east and west of Lincoln: Open
• N-2–Nebraska City to Lincoln: Open
• N-79: Open
• US-77–Wahoo to Lincoln and Beatrice to Lincoln: Open
• US-34–Seward to Lincoln: Open
• Eastbound I-80 entrance ramp at Waverly interchange (409) from N-6 will close at halftime of each home game. Traffic will be directed to continue east on N-6.
• Northbound I-180 entrance ramp from Superior St. will also close to assist traffic exiting Lincoln on I-180, after each game.
Message boards will be posted, as in the past, to direct traffic upon departure from Lincoln. City of Lincoln Police and Public Works, along with Nebraska State Patrol and the
State Roads Department coordinate Husker game day traffic operations to enhance public safety.
There are many active highway improvement projects on Nebraska’s highways and the interstate. Motorists planning highway travel to the University of Nebraska at Lincoln home football games are reminded to buckle-up and pay extra close attention to the greatly increased traffic which increases the travel time. Leave for your destination allowing plenty of time for a safe arrival to and returning from Memorial Stadium.
The Advanced Traveler Information Service, 511, is a free 24-hour, year-round information source offered by the NDOR and the State Patrol. Phone numbers and web details are below.
Travel Resources Year-Round
PHONE: Call 511 or 800-906-9069, then follow the prompts.
WEB: 511 on the web at: www.511.nebraska.gov. Use the icons on the left side of the page and click the map to zoom into the area you wish to see in detail. Hover or click on icons for more details. Other map layers include weather sensors, cameras, and message boards.
There are links on the page to weather info and travel info for surrounding states.
MOBILE: www.ndortraveler.mobi. View a Text version of 511 info, (sorted by highway number), selected camera views across the state by geographic area, weather links, the most recent NDOR Tweet, as well as push-to-talk 511 phone. The site works on PC’s, too.