Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

Our Community’s History PDF Print E-mail

By Brooke Pankonin

Natural gas finally a reality

One Year Ago
Aug. 23, 2012
Adams Lumber Company of Grant and Imperial was purchased by Leibbrandt Lumber, Inc. DBA Adams Lumber Company. Owners Chad and Amy Leibbrandt of Imperial, were excited to be at the helm of the successful company that was established 93 years ago. Adams Lumber is a third-generation business that has been in operation since 1919. The Leibbrandts were anxious to make some changes but would work hard at retaining the company’s reputation for outstanding customer service.

Ten Years Ago
Sep. 4, 2003
A public hearing was held to discuss the potential sale of the Grant Municipal Golf Course. Although the course had been self-sufficient for many years from membership fees and volunteer upkeep, the course was in need of a new clubhouse, increased membership and supplemental income to rejuvenate it and keep it viable.  
Twenty-five Years Ago
Sep. 7, 1988
Approximately 90 members of the Perkins County Retirement Association were updated on the status of the proposed retirement facility. Members reviewed several models of the proposed facility which called for a 30-unit congregate facility and a number of adjacent duplexes. Meals, housekeeping, laundry, transportation, and social activities were being considered for the facility. Many of the apartments would be equipped with kitchens.

Fifty Years Ago
Aug. 29, 1963
Preparations for the installation of natural gas in the Grant area were nearing completion and the first customers were able to be served. At that time gas actually came through the newly installed pipes, the first meters were installed, and customers connected with the line for service. Only a few final connections had been made, but as fast as meters could be installed new connections were being made on the line. Gas service was finally a reality and it was only a matter of time until all who wanted the service could have it.

Seventy-Five Years Ago
Sep. 8, 1938
Grant Grade School opened with an enrollment of 152, which was slightly larger than the previous year. The enrollment by grades was: first, 27; second, 22; third, 14; fourth, 23; fifth, 21; sixth, 15; seventh, 12; eighth, 18.