Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

Our Community's History PDF Print E-mail

Pankonin’s Garage robbed

By Brooke Pankonin

One Year Ago
Mar. 7, 2013
District patrons came together in back-to-back school board meetings to learn the results of a year-long study concerning the three facilities belonging to Perkins County Schools.
The public was invited to the meetings held in Madrid and Grant to hear about two options from the superintendent, architects, construction manager and school board members.
Here were the options:
• Option 1: tear down the 1921 three-story portion of the school building in Madrid which houses middle school students, and rebuild a one-story structure at an approximate cost of $5 million.
• Option 2: Vacate the middle school building in Madrid. Send sixth graders to the elementary site in Grant. Construct new classrooms for  the seventh and eighth grade students at the high school site in Grant, as well as a new gym/kitchen/commons area.
Ten Years Ago
Mar. 4, 2004
Over 200 turned out at the annual Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) banquet at Grant High School to eat, visit, and listen to former Husker coach Ron Brown. His inspirational speech brought laughter, tears and reflection as he spoke about Christian values and the importance of Christ in his life. Brown was fired from his assistant coaching position with the Huskers when a new coaching staff was put together after head coach Frank Solich was terminated. Brown encouraged the youth and others in the audience to live for Jesus and pursue Him with passion.
Twenty-five Years Ago
March 8, 1989
The Grant Plainsmen would return to the state C-2 Basketball Tournament with a year’s experience under their belts. With a convincing win over Oshkosh in the district finals, the top-ranked Plainsmen accomplished their goal of returning to state. And for the first time in school history, the Wallace Wildcats would compete in the Class D-2 state boys state basketball tournament.
Fifty Years Ago
Mar. 5, 1964
The Grant Volunteer Fire Department purchased a 500-gallon per minute capacity nozzle and holder. The holder was designed by fire chief K.D. Ballentine and local blacksmith, Tom Brown. Without the holder, the nozzle and attached hose would require five to eight men to keep it stable, now it will only take two. The unit was designed for easy dismantling and construction to enable men to move it from one place to another very quickly. The distance water traveled was 240 feet at 100 pounds of nozzle pressure.
Seventy-Five Years Ago
Mar. 9, 1939
Burglars forces their way into Pankonin’s Garage, hammered the combination off the safe and took about $40 in cash. They took some other things from the office and forced the cash register open. It didn’t take officers long to fasten suspicion on the guilty parties, and three local men were taken into custody. A confession was obtained from them. The damage to the safe and cash register amounted to more than the cash taken.