Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

Ed Evans - September 29, 2010

Ed Evans was born on March 22, 1921 at the Evans farm south of Madrid, Neb. He was the second of three children born to Scott and Ethel Erlewine Evans. Ed grew up on the farm and attended rural school. He completed two years at Perkins County High School in Grant, Neb. before returning to work on the farm. He received his high school diploma a few years back in Grant under the program administered by the United States Veterans Administration.
Ed was married to Agnes Bogaert on Jan. 20, 1943 in Ogallala, Neb. They moved to the Evans farm where they lived their married life.
He was inducted into the United States Army in 1945 near the end of World War II and spent time in Germany until his discharge in 1946 when he returned to the farm. Ed was always proud of his service to our country.
Ed and Agnes moved to the Golden Ours Convalescent Home in Grant in August of 2009 and later moved to the Nebraska Veterans Home in Grand Island, Neb. in December of 2009. Agnes died in January of this year and Ed continued to live at the Veterans Home until he died on Wednesday morning, Sept. 29, 2010. He had reached the age of 89.
Ed had been a member of the Madrid American Legion and the V.F.W. in Madrid. He had belonged to the Madrid Community Club and served on the Madrid School Board. He was a board member when Madrid and Elsie consolidated forming Wheatland Schools in 1967.
Ed is survived by two sons, Karol and his wife Kay of Hastings, Neb. and Roy and his wife Shirley of Sutherland, Neb.; four grandchildren, Chad Evans, Kristy Evans, Bret and wife Angie Evans and Carrie and husband Tim Lange; three great-grandchildren; Two sisters, Lorena Hixon in Colorado and Betty Bogaert of Grant; other relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held on Oct. 2, 2010 at the Madrid United Methodist Church with Pastor Linda Battello officiating.
Burial was in the Grant Fairview Cemetery with a military tribute by the Perkins County Veterans.
A memorial has been established.
Bullock-Long Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.