FSA Scoop

Producers urged to consider risk protection

Perkins County USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) Executive Director Teri Moss reminds producers to review available USDA crop risk protection options, including federal crop insurance and Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) coverage, before the spring-seeded crop deadline of March 15. 

Federal crop insurance covers crop losses from natural adversities such as drought, hail and excessive moisture. NAP covers losses from natural disasters on crops for which no permanent federal crop insurance program is available, including forage and grazing crops, fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, floriculture, ornamental nursery, aquaculture, turf grass, ginseng, honey, syrup, bioenergy and industrial crops.

The following crops in Perkins County have a NAP application deadline of March 15, 2017:  alfalfa, mixed forage, spring-seeded annual crops, grass, and sorghum forage.

“NAP policies allow producers to protect their investment by purchasing coverage for noninsurable crops,” said Moss. “Natural disasters are an unavoidable part of farming and ranching, and FSA programs like NAP help producers recover when they experience a loss.”  

NAP basic coverage is available at 55 percent of the average market price for crop losses that exceed 50 percent of expected production, with higher levels of coverage, up to 65 percent of their expected production at 100 percent of the average market price available, including coverage for organics and crops marketed directly to consumers. Crops intended for grazing are not eligible for additional NAP coverage. 

Federal crop insurance coverage is sold and delivered solely through private insurance agents. Agent lists are available at all USDA Service Centers or at USDA’s online Agent Locator: http://prodwebnlb.rma.usda.gov/apps/AgentLocator/#. Producers can use the USDA Cost Estimator, https://ewebapp.rma.usda.gov/apps/costestimator/Default.aspx, to predict insurance premium costs.

For more information on NAP, service fees, premiums and sales deadlines, contact the Perkins County FSA office at 308-352-4747 or visit the web at www.fsa.usda.gov/nap.


The Grant Tribune-Sentinel

308-352-4311 (Phone)
308-352-4101 (Fax)

PO Box 67
327 Central Ave in Grant
Grant NE 69140