Contributed

Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic Church in Elsie was dedicated on Oct. 8, 1918.

Catholic Church in Elsie celebrates 100 years

Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic Church in Elsie is celebrating its 100th anniversary.

The Catholics among the early settlers in Elsie were blessed with a church built in 1889. It was named the Immaculate Conception Church. Because of economic difficulties, the church building was sold in 1903. 

With an increase in Catholic residents in the area near the beginning of WWI, it became necessary to build another church in Elsie in 1917. It was dedicated by Bishop Charles J. O’Reilly on Oct. 8, 1918. It was named Resurrection of Our Lord Church, since it symbolized the spiritual resurrection of the congregation that had been for a decade and a half without a church.

The Resurrection parish has been a mission parish of Curtis, Wallace and Grant over the years. There has been only one resident priest in Elsie, Father Lambert Brookman, from 1947 to 1950. There have been 21 priests serving the Elsie parish in the last 100 years.

The parishioners have always taken good care of the church building. In the 70s, carpet was laid and the communion rail was taken down. 

In the 80s, new carpet was laid, the interior of the church was painted, the statues were restored and the church was rewired. Exterior improvements included a new roof on the church and tower, as well as repainting of the church.

In the early 90s, new pews were purchased for the church. In 2004, the church got a new entryway including new white doors and a handicap accessible ramp. In 2005, members of the parish painted the interior of the church. And earlier this year, the church had its beautiful stained glass windows refurbished and cleaned.

Anniversary celebration

The parish is having an anniversary celebration on Saturday, Sept. 15. Mass will be at 5:30 p.m. with a potluck to follow. Those who plan to attend are asked to RSVP to Cheri Sis by Sept 10. 

Commemorative Christmas ornaments with an image of the church are being sold by the Altar Society. Contact Joan Craig if interested. 

The Grant Tribune-Sentinel

308-352-4311 (Phone)
308-352-4101 (Fax)

PO Box 67
327 Central Ave in Grant
Grant NE 69140