Lightning strike damages home

Had he not been home Friday night, Jack Karre doubts he’d have a house anymore. 

According to Fire Chief Rick Dreiling, lightning struck the roof of the Jack and Pat Karre home located at 520 Hall Avenue in Grant. 

Fire departments from both Grant and Madrid responded to the call.

Dreiling said there was smoke coming from the attic area. 

He said they used a thermo-imaging camera to identify an area where insulation was smoldering. 

A hole was cut in the roof so the smoldering material could be extinguished and removed. 

Dreiling praised his roof team for using as little water as possible to keep from damaging other areas of the home. 

Karre also noted how great of a job the firemen did, as well as limiting water use. 

Dreiling said the amount of damage to the home is unknown at this time. 

Karre said a portion of the electrical wiring in the home was fried by the electrical strike. In addition, electrical appliances plugged in at the time were also lost. 

 

The Grant Tribune-Sentinel

308-352-4311 (Phone)
308-352-4101 (Fax)

PO Box 67
327 Central Ave in Grant
Grant NE 69140