Perkins County’s 911 call center online

All landline calls now going to local dispatch

Perkins County’s 911 call center officially cut over from Keith County last week,  according to Sheriff Jim Brueggeman.

Brueggeman updated county commissioners during their final meeting of 2020 Monday.

Any wireline calls made in 911 will now be answered by the dispatch staff at the Sheriff’s Office.

The cutover was originally scheduled for this past summer, which was then moved to October and was finally completed last week.

But it didn’t go without a hitch. The telecommunications company managing the cutover did not complete the necessary paperwork so that wireless calls in this area would also sent to Perkins County’s call center. 

As a result, Brueggeman said Keith County will continue to take those calls until that cutover can take place. 

He said the company filed the necessary paperwork for the transition late last week. It could be up to 180 days before the wireless cutover can be completed.

The good thing about Keith County taking the calls  is that they can now transfer those calls to the Perkins county dispatch center. 

He said they get all the information about the call and can then enter location info on the 911 map. Before, Ogallala called a land line at the Sheriff’s Office and relayed information over the phone.

Brueggeman said they have also made application with the Public Service Commission to receive the 911 funds that are collected in the county from the surcharge on telephone bills, both wire and wireless.

He said that would mean around $40,000 annually and it may be possible to recoup much of the cost of setting  up the dispatch center.

It was a recommendation by a grand jury called to review an accident where a driver was killed while being pursued by sheriff officers.

Brueggeman said the wireless 911 advisory committee they met with has recommended to the PSC (Public Service Commission) to approve the request for funding. 

He noted some glitches along the way were inevitable but said his office has taken a big step in bringing dispatch services back in house.

The county previously closed their dispatch center and contracted with Keith County for the services. 

The contract was up and Brueggeman recommended bringing the call center back to Perkins County, which was approved by commissioners. 

 

The Grant Tribune-Sentinel

308-352-4311 (Phone)

PO Box 67
327 Central Ave in Grant
Grant NE 69140