Are you a good person?
When most of us are reading this question our first impulse is to answer: yes, of course I am a good person.
But, to answer this question truthfully, we must measure it by some kind of standard of what a good person is. For most people who would say they are a good person, they are applying their own standard of goodness. So by my standard of what a good person is – yes I am a good person. But, is this a legitimate standard? I would answer no, because God has given us the standard of what a good person is. It is objective, comprehensive and applies to all people fairly. His standard is the moral law that we find in the Bible.
The best summary of God’s moral standard is found in Exodus 20 where God gives us the Ten Commandments. This summary of God’s standard is the test of whether we are good people – according to God.
Here is a list of the Ten Commandments. Read through it with a tender conscience and ask yourself if you have always kept these commandments perfectly.
1. You shall have no other gods before Me (worship God only).
2. You shall make no graven images (worship God rightly).
3. Do not take the Lord God’s name in vain (reverence His name and works).
4. Keep the Sabbath holy (a day for worship and rest).
5. Honor your mother and your father (love and obey your parents).
6. You shall not murder (avoid hatred, everything leading to it and following from it).
7. Do not commit adultery (avoid sexual sin and be pure in heart).
8. Do not steal (do not take things from others).
9. Do not lie (tell the truth).
10. Do not covet (be content).
If your conscience is working correctly, you should recognize that you have not met God’s standard of a good person.
The truth is, there is only one person who ever lived who perfectly obeyed the Ten Commandments and that was Jesus Christ.
He perfectly kept God’s standard of a good person all of His life. Then He went to the cross and was punished for all of our law breaking and rose from the grave on the third day.
God will give you credit for being a good person if you will repent and trust in Jesus—the only good person. He came as a substitute to save bad people. His perfect life can count for you.