Earning Nebraska FFA state degrees were (l-r): Sam McArtor, Jacob Woodmancy, Caleb Lagler, Matthew Wendell and Tanner Burge, pictured with FFA Advisor Doug Babbitt.
Five earn FFA state degrees
From Tuesday, April 2 to Friday, April 5, PC FFA members attended the State FFA Convention in Lincoln.
There, members competed in several competitions, attended leadership sessions for personal growth, and were recognized for their achievements in FFA.
On Jan. 30, Tanner Burge, Caleb Lagler, Sam McArtor, Matthew Wendell and Jacob Woodmancy travelled to Valentine to interview for the Nebraska FFA state degree. All members were approved based on their Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) and their knowledge of the agricultural education three circle model.
The state degree represents the progress of students in their own agricultural education. At state FFA, all five PC FFA members received their state degree.
The last member from Perkins County to receive the state degree was James McArtor in 2016.
Honors and Results
• Hall of Chapters—Keshia Leeper, Rylee Huff and Kristen Bullock all contributed to showcasing Perkins County at state FFA. Their project made the bronze category.
• Choir—PC members Matthew Wendell and Summer Postlewait both auditioned and were selected to sing in the Nebraska State FFA Choir. They performed before and during each of the Nebraska State FFA Sessions.
• Katie and Michael Scholarship—PC FFA officers Ian Sihm and Matthew Wendell awarded the Katie and Michael New Chapter Scholarship to the Axtell FFA Chapter.
• Proficiency Award—Tanner Burge: State champion Click here to read story.
• LDE Results—Samuel McArtor competed in natural resources speaking and received a gold medal for being in the top eight.
PC FFA members competed in ag mechanics, agriscience, agronomy, environmental and natural resources, farm and agribusiness management, food science and technology, livestock judging, meats evaluation, and nursery and landscape. The results are as follows:
• Agriscience—Hayden Foster: Blue ribbon; Savannah Schmitt: Blue ribbon; Hallie Fischer, Bryder Hickey, Foster, Schmitt: Team red ribbon
• Natural Resources—Tanner Burge: Purple ribbon; Josh Malmkar: Blue ribbon; Aaron Fay: Red ribbon; Hayden Foster, Burge, Malmkar, Fay: Team blue ribbon
• Farm Management—Jacob Woodmancy: Red ribbon; Jaden Dietlein: Red ribbon; Jace Wid: White ribbon; Caleb Lagler, Woodmancy, Dietlein, Wid: Team red ribbon
• Food Science—Jaden Dietlein: Red ribbon; Junior Livestock Judging; Dani Burge: Purple ribbon; Alyssa Malmkar: Red ribbon; Hallie Fischer, Kylie Tucker, Malmkar, Burge: Team red ribbon
• Meats—Jace Wid: White ribbon; Ian Sihm: White ribbon
• Nursery and Landscape—Caleb Lagler: Blue ribbon; Evan Sestak: Red ribbon; Miah Long: Red ribbon; Jacob Woodmancy, Lagler, Sestak, Long: Team white ribbon
Perkins County FFA would like to thank all of the community for their support of FFA. PC FFA would also like to thank sponsors Mrs. Burge, Mrs. Foster, Mr. Forney, Mr. Struckman, and Mr. Picquet, bus driver Jeff Marquardt, and our adviser, Doug Babbitt.