Trey Robertson explains the “Jordan Rules” in his informative speech about how basketball teams used strategic defense to combat Michael Jordan on the court.
Wallace speech takes Class D victory
The Wallace speech team earned first place in Class D and third overall with 55 points at Perkins County’s invitational meet on Saturday, Feb. 1.
Nine of Wallace’s performances achieved honors, whether that was a medal or “Top Novice” performance.
Coach Samantha Garrison said the students and coaches are pleased with individual and group performances last weekend.
“Several season goals were met, so students will be setting new ones this week!” Garrison noted.
The team will next travel to Sutherland on Saturday, Feb. 8 to compete against even larger schools than they’ve seen so far in the season.
• Entertainment: Quinn Koop, 4th
• Informative: Hailey Brooks, 1st
• Persuasive: Hailey Brooks, 2nd; Aidan McClintock, 6th
• Extemporaneous: Ashley Robinson, 7th; Aidan McClintock, 8th
• Duet: Morgan Lungrin and Karol Garcia, Top Novice
• OID: Jerad Phillips, Austin Kennicutt, Haley Lundvall, Quinn Koop and Kolton Hagar, 2nd; Karol Garcia, Morgan Lungrin, Denay Pelster, Ainsley Strawder and Mariah Gardner, 5th
Other students who competed, but did not earn a medal at Perkins County include:
• Humerous Prose: Quinn Koop
• Serious Prose: Hailey Brooks
• Poetry: Emma Matson, Mariah Gardner
• Entertainment: Breanna Vanatta
• Informative: Trey Robertson
• Duet: Austin Kennicutt and Jerad Phillips