Nora Jameson

During the Wallace  vs. Eustis-Farnum sub-district basketball game in  Maxwell, Blake Pelster, a senior for the Wallace Wildcats, goes up for the basket  while Eustis-Farnum's junior Tanner Fangmeyer attempts to block the shot from behind. Ultimately the Cats came out on top sending them to district finals. The Wildcats fell to the Riverside Chargers on Monday, Feb. 25, ending their season. 

Wildcats make it to district final to be defeated by Riverside

The regular season of basketball is over and all that remains are the games that determine whose season continues and whose season comes to an end.  

Wallace entered their D2-9 subdistrict play seeded No. 1 with three teams they had competed against and defeated in regular season games.

Medicine Valley

Up first for Wallace was Medicine Valley. The Raiders only have 6 players but they work hard. They came out and tested the Wildcats in the opening quarter staying right with them. Wallace went into the second period with a slim 14-9 lead.

The second quarter was a completely different game. Wallace took over and dominated. They put up 17 points while holding the Raiders to just four to take a 31-13 lead into halftime. 

Wallace was able to keep control of the game throughout the second half. The Raiders did go on a scoring run late in the game but the Wildcats were still able to get the 51-39 victory and advance to the subdistrict final.

The Cats had three players hit the double-digit mark. Kolton Hager had 14 points, eight rebounds and two steals. Micah Swedberg had 13 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists, two steals and two blocks. Camden McConnell scored 11 points and had four rebounds and one assist. Other Cats who contributed to the win were Blake Pelster and Tanner Finley with four points, Kaden Hager with three points and Ethan Bowlin with two points.


Wallace had to face Eustis-Farnam for the subdistrict final. 

The first half of the game went in waves. Wallace started out strong and jumped out to a 12-2 lead. Late in the first quarter, however, E-F hit back-to-back treys to cut into the Wildcat lead.

The second quarter started out with each team draining a 3-pointer and then Wallace looked like they were going to take over by going on an 8-point run. The Knights didn't panic. They responded with a 10-point run of their own.  As the half was coming to an end, Finley drove the lane to get a bucket to help Wallace end the half with a slim 25-20 lead.

The game stayed relatively close in the third quarter with the teams exchanging baskets. The difference in the scoring was that Wallace had three different players knock down a 3-pointer to pad their lead a bit.

Even though the Knights were playing tough, Wallace pretty much dominated the final eight minutes by playing very tough defense and knocking down big shots and free throws.

Wallace went on to win the game by a score of 49-32. Swedberg had a big game, scoring 23 points and getting eight rebounds, three assists, three steals and one block. Kolton Hager had eight points, two rebounds, one assist and one steal. Pelster had six points and six rebounds and Bowlin had five points, four rebounds, two assists and one steal. Kaden Hager had four points, three rebounds, two assists and three steals and Finley had three points and eight rebounds.

Next action

With the win, Wallace went on to the district final, also called a sub-state game. Sub-state pairs the 12 subdistrict winners and four additional teams, based on their wildcard points. Wallace went in rated 14th and faced the third seed and undefeated Riverside. 

The game was played on Monday night, Feb. 25, where Wallace fell to the Chargers, 65-38, ending the Cat’s season.

The Grant Tribune-Sentinel

308-352-4311 (Phone)
308-352-4101 (Fax)

PO Box 67
327 Central Ave in Grant
Grant NE 69140